Transitioning to higher education can be significantly complicated when changing programs or degrees. This article dispels some myths about this process, specifically about changing from a Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) to a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) in a different subject. It will provide an in-depth discussion of eligibility, funding rules, and what’s involved in changing your major.

What is the Process for Transitioning Between Different Higher Education Qualifications?

Eligibility for funding and the application process for a CertHE to DipHE requires understanding several vital factors. When a student decides to change her field of study, especially to a program considered at a higher level or in a completely different field, it becomes essential to understand the underlying principles governing student financing. In the United States, the federal government primarily administers higher education funding, with state governments contributing through financial aid programs, scholarships, grants, and loans. Therefore, any potential refocusing on academic programs must be well managed, and the flow of financial aid must be maintained. For example, a person previously supported to gain a CertHE in one subject may be allowed to gain a DipHE in another. However, this may depend on the source of funding, the institution and the nature of the program.

A student’s eligibility for financial aid often depends on their academic progress, the “level” of the new award relative to a previous one, and whether their “continuous study” period is maintained. The “Equivalent Level Qualifications” (ELQ) rule, widely used in some countries, states that students are generally not entitled to state-funded tuition for a qualification at the same or lower level than one they already hold. In the U.S., however, financial aid policies may be much more lax, particularly with career change or career advancement programs.

The most critical steps in the transition are:

  • Speaking with the financial aid officer.
  • Clarifying the details of the new program.
  • Completing the necessary forms with the exact information needed for the new program of study.

What does a field of study change mean for the eligibility of current funding? Changing your course to study for a DipHE after gaining a CertHE in another subject, without the required level of full honors, would require careful consideration of the funding implications. One of the first questions many students have is whether they will be eligible for financial aid for the entire length of the new program, mainly if the first few years cover material that is not at a significantly higher level than what they have been studying.

In the U.S., eligibility for education financial aid typically depends on the requirements of the degree being pursued and the student’s enrollment level (full-time or part-time). However, it is only sometimes possible to obtain financial aid from the government, as some students may be working towards degrees that are considered to be at a higher level of education, even though part of the program may cover material equivalent to previous studies. In the majority of cases, it is the qualification that you are working towards that will determine this.

Suppose the student wishes to progress to something like a DipHE in Criminology and Psychology, as in the scenario above. In that case, this should explain how the new program represents a large, coherent step upward in terms of their education and future career prospects. The financial aid offices of each educational institution can help guide them through such transitions and indicate what forms of aid the student may be eligible to receive.

Therefore, ensuring that the administrative and financial aid offices of current and prospective programs have been thoroughly contacted is always critical. This will include a discussion of the details of the program structure, total credit requirements, and the ability to transfer previously earned credits to the new program. Documentation and timely application are essential. Be sure to have all the necessary documents in place to explain the history of the student’s studies and the financial support the student has received. They should also be aware of the deadlines and requirements in the course for the new program to make it through successfully in the new program.

When and How do you apply for financial aid for a new course of study?

Careful planning is required for the transfer financial aid application process. Students must generally begin by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the new academic year in which the new U.S. program begins. The FAFSA is the key that can help you unlock the doors to opportunities for federal student aid as well as many state and institutional aid programs.

The general application period is October of the current year through the next academic year, and early application is recommended because some financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Students must have information about the new institution and program of study at the time of application. It is also a good idea to go a step further and contact the financial aid office of the institution offering the new program directly to inquire about any additional scholarships, grants, or program-specific aid that may be available. In cases of transfer within the same university, it is the responsibility of the financial aid office to provide the new course details as soon as the decision to change programs has been made. This will ensure that any aid already in place can be reassessed and appropriately applied to the new program. Only a change of program or a change from part-time to full-time study (or vice versa) requires a new application.

Stay in touch with the financial aid office. In essence, open lines of communication would allow students to navigate the complexities of financial aid to ensure that they receive all the benefits for which they qualify and which will be used to support their new academic and career interests. Basically, while the process of transferring and funding a degree may seem complex, it is definitely doable with advance planning and proactive engagement with financial aid support systems. They offer advice to students. They encourage them to ask questions and take advantage of the resources that can be of help to them in their education.


How will I know if I’m eligible for financial aid and if I decide to change my course of study would I still be eligible?

Contact the financial aid office at your institution.Depending on your status, program, and previous funding, they would provide instructions tailored to your specific needs.

Where do I apply to get financial aid for a new program?

Apply for financial aid for a new program by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the academic year in which you plan to begin a new program. Alternatively, the school’s financial aid office should also be contacted to inquire about receiving a scholarship, grant, or loan.

How can I transition into a new course of study?

Before changing majors, discuss the financial implications with your academic advisor and financial aid office. Then gather all the necessary documents, update your FAFSA with the information about the new program, and apply for additional aid if advised by the financial aid office.

Categories: Scholarships


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *